It is the responsibility of the Procurement Department to procure goods and services in a structured, documented manner in accordance with the Procurement procedures of MegChem Engineering and Drafting Services (Pty) Ltd. The procurement function operates within industry standards and best practices to enhance and provide a value added service. All procurement actions are consistent with ethical leadership and corporate governance principles which strive to interact with all parties in a positive and constructive way to achieve win-win situations.
Purchasing officials are expected to fulfill the following role as and when applicable:
- Create and issue RFQ's which is clear in Scope of work and other requirements.
- To enquire and place orders in a responsible, ethical manner which will enhance our image as a professional engineering company.
- Dealing with quotations, confidentiality and sealed bid opening procedures.
- Evaluating and clarifying all technical and commercial issues on quotations.
- Recommending the best value for money option with the least risks to the project manager as link between MegChem and the client.
- Obtaining a formal commitment from our clients prior to establishing orders addressing all the requirements of the client and MegChem.
- Managing suppliers, expediting and dealing with schedule issues.
- Prepare and recommend payments as and when invoices comply to order requirements as well as dealing with penalties if applicable.
- Keeping records, filing of orders in a specific format to create uniformity.
- Attend project close out meetings with the view of continuous improvement.
Activities of the Procurement section:
- To know and to implement the Purchasing procedures and systems in MegChem in order to support the company's strategic vision.
- Know who the approved suppliers are for a specific product for a specific company.
- Create a project procurement plan specific for a project if required.
- Be aware of the client's special commercial requirements for orders and reporting information in instances where a "For and on Behalf of" service is rendered.
- Ensure that we are aware of metal price increases/decreases, oversupplies and demand at international level – LME, ROE etc.
- Understand and manage Cost Price Adjustments mechanisms and principles.
- Ensure risks and costs are covered using international INCO terms and have extensive understanding of logistics. Operating hand in hand with global freight forwarders.
- Create and adapt commercial commitments to limit risks while ensuring no loose ends.
- Having agreements / orders which eliminate the need for lengthy and costly legal cases between MegChem and its clients.
- Negotiate best value for money agreements based on fit for purpose requirements.
- Adapting our services while still complying with all the basics of good commercial practices.
- Filing and archiving all procurement documentation for audit purposes.