Process Engineering is responsible for most of the front end engineering design work conducted within MegChem. The group, numbering 16 at date of publication, consists primarily of individuals qualified in the field of Chemical Engineering. Total design experience in the group equates to more than 70 years
The group has executed work extensively in the Petrochemical environment, but has also applied its skills within, but not limited to, the following fields:
- Synthetic Fuels
- Upstream Oil and Gas
- Gas Clean-up
- Gas Storage and Processing
- Power Generation
- Speciality Chemicals
- Paper and Pulp
- Water Treatment
- Tanked Storage Facilities
- Mining (Downstream Processing)
- Minerals and Metals Processing
- Solids Handling
Our capabilities include the following:
- Problem investigation and root cause analysis.
- Feasibility studies and conceptual engineering design.
- Basic and detailed engineering design.
- Economic evaluation, cost optimization and value engineering practices.
- Design of single components.
- Third party design verification.
- Construction, commissioning and start-up support.
MegChem also offers the following services:
Flowsheet development, Mass and energy balance simulations, HAZOP Studies, Safety Integrity Level reviews, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Potential Deviation Analysis, Area Classification, Hydraulic Design for Incompressible, Compressible, 2-Phase and Slurry flow, Process Control, Shell-and-Tube, Air Cooled and Compact Heat Exchangers, Reboilers and Condensers, Cooling Towers, Scrubbers, Absorber and Stripper Columns, Distillation Towers, Atmospheric and Low Pressure Storage Tanks, Gas/Liquid Separators, Flash drums, Filters, Pumps, Compressors, Blowers and Fans, Control valves and Instrumentation Sizing and Specification, Safety Relief Valve sizing, Flare Systems Design, Flare Gas Recovery, Pigging and Online Cleaning Systems, Fire water Systems, Loading and Offloading Facilities, Process Integration and debottlenecking, Modification, Expansion and Retrofitting of Existing Plants etc.
We liaise strategically with various universities, consultants, technology suppliers and manufacturers when required to supplement our capabilities.
We encourage and support individual development, professional registration and affiliation with organisations such as SAIChe and ECSA.
We continually strive to understand and fulfill the needs of our clients. We are also familiar with international standards, specifications and recommended practice, including those of organizations such as ASME, API, ISA, ASTM, ISO, SANS, IP, CGA, TEMA.
We are active users of the following Engineering Software:
- Aspen HYSYS
- Aspen Exchanger Design and Rating
- AFT Arrow Compressible flow Hydraulics
- AFT Fathom Incompressible flow Hydraulics
- Other software on a project specific basis
Our process engineers are dedicated, driven individuals that are committed to ensuring successful execution of our clients' projects